The Philatelic Press
One thing in which philately is especially fortunate beyond most other hobbies is its abundance of literature. There are books, papers, and pamphlets on almost every stamp that has ever been issued. The Collector's Club of New York City boasts a philatelic library of literally thousands of volumes in a great many languages. In addition to the permanent books and pamphlets the hobby enjoys a living and very active press of its own. This consists of a goodly number of weekly, monthly and quarterly magazines as well as active "Stamp Columns" in the larger newspapers of the larger cities. No collector anywhere in the world, and especially no collector in the United States, need be out of contact with what goes on in the philatelic world. Sad to relate, there are millions who do not bother to subscribe to one or more of these very valuable publications. Every collector should spare the few cents necessary to keep informed of his hobby. We append a list of most of the available periodicals.
- Linn's Weekly Stamp News, Sidney, Ohio. Newspaper format, issued weekly.
- Mekeel's Weekly Stamp News, Portland, Maine. Newspaper format, issued weekly.
- National Stamp News, Anderson, So. Car. Newspaper format, issued weekly.
- Stamps, 143 Waverly Place, New York, New York. Magazine format, issued weekly.
- Weekly Philatelic Gossip, Holton, Kansas. Magazine format, issued weekly.
- Western Stamp Collector, Albany, Oregon. Newspaper format, issued twice each week.
- American Philatelist, The official organ of the American Philatelic Society. Obtained by membership. Address: P.O. Box 800, State College, Pennsylvania.
- Collector's Club Philatelist, Collector's Club, 22 East 35th Street, New York, New York. Six times a year. Official Organ of the Collector's Club.
- Essay Proof Journal, Essay Proof Society, 22 East 35th Street, New York, New York. Quarterly. Official Organ of the Essay Proof Society.
- Scott's Monthly Journal, Scott Publications, 461 Eighth Avenue, New York 1, New York. Monthly. S. P. A. Journal, Official Organ of the Society of Philatelic Americans. Monthly. Obtained by membership. Address: S. P. A., Room 1611, 11 S. Lasalle Street, Chicago 3, Illinois.
In addition to these publications, many stamp dealers publish bulletins which are excellent sources of information about the stamps they have for sale.